Go, go, go... that's how this week is looking to me so far. How 'bout yours? I'm almost half-way through my academic semester (already?!) and the work is definitely reflecting on that. Let's hope I can get it all done and still do well! Haha, I'm not really worried ( I think), I'm sure I can I just have to sit down and get started. Onto the eats!Sunday's dinner and Monday's lunch were seemingly identical plates: Pudding de Zapallo (Pumpkin Frittata with Peppers, Zucchini, and Carrots) and an array of salads. The first time I had a cabbage salad with radishes, lettuce salad, and tomato salad. Yum, yum, yum.
Yesterday I came home ravenous from class and looked for a small snack to have since I knew we'd be eating soon. This juicy orange did the trick! I forgot how refreshing naval oranges can be! And finally last night's dinner, Pastel de Papas paired with the usual salad works. This is only the second time I ate this ugly dish and it was even more delicious than I remember. It really is a genius blend of flavors, more than you'd ever think by looking at this mess, and my "mom's" version is vegetarian. It's like a healthier spin on the typical meat and potatoes American fare. Here's the recipe, if you're interested!
Pastel de Papas
1 lb of soy meat/ground beef
1 1/4 cup of chopped onions
1/4 cup of raisins
Salt & pepper
2 hard-boiled eggs
6 large potatoes
1 cup of skim milk
2 tbsp of butter
1. Boil cubed potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking also soak the raisins in warm water.
2. Mash the cooked potatoes with milk, butter, and salt. Set aside.
3. Brown the meat and chopped onions with cumin, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper. 4. Drain the raisins. Drain the meat and onions and place in an oiled baking pan.
5. Layer the sliced hard boiled eggs, olives, and raisins over the meat mixture.
6. Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture (and sprinkle with sugar).
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Check often to make sure the mashed potatoes don't dry out.
8. Serve with ensalada. ¡Buen provecho!
And that's all folks! I may not have class today but I've got a lot to do, errands upon errands in addition to all that forsaken work I was talking about! Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday! :)